Friday, June 20, 2014

Why Positive Expectations are Important (First Day of School Series)


I cannot rave enough about the The First Days of School!  I read it every summer as I prepare for the next school year.  This year is no different except I am sharing what I gain from the book with you!

*Disclaimer: This series is based on my own understanding of The First Days of School and my personal experience.  If you would like to read all of what Harry Wong and Rosemary Wong suggest please buy a copy of their book *

So last week, I skimmed the first unit (chapters 1-5) and shared what I gained.  I am taking the rest of the book chapter by chapter now.
 
Chapter 6: Why Positive Expectations are Important

There is absolutely NO research correlation between success and family background, race, national origin, financial status or even educational accomplishments. There is but one correlation with success and that is ATTITUDE.  (The First Days of School, p.35)
I love that quote.  So many people see these things as a disadvantage, especially in education.  BUT the factors above make little impact compared to the teacher’s expectation of the students. 

Expectation: belief of what can or cannot be done (Erin’s definition)

There are two types of expectations:

Positive

Negative
Definition
An optimistic belief that what you do or who you teach will succeed

A pessimistic belief that what you do or who you teach will fail
Why?
You are aware of opportunities to help you succeed

You are looking for proof of why you failed
Examples
“You can be anything you want to be. You can even be president”
“I only give one A each year. I have very high standards”


what can or cannot be achieved <-- Expectations ≠ Standards --> level of achievement               
Please don't confuse expectations and standards because
Expectations are set by teachers
Standards are set by school, state, tests

The expectations you set in your classroom sets up your students to succeed or fail.  You decide. 

Teachers who have negative expectations will prevent a student from learning and achieving.


Students tend to learn as little or as much as their teachers expect (The First Days of School, p. 40)

So what do I gain from this?
  • Remember all students can achieve no matter what.
  • Set positive expectations, show them, and verbalize them.
And what did you gain?  Comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment